Sunday, June 21, 2009

Kaye's Meatballs

I've never really been a huge fan of meatballs, and only in the last few years have I even eaten them at all. When I was little, my best friend LOVED my mom's meatballs, and always requested them whenever she came over for dinner. Now I understand why she was so crazy about them!

My husband said that these are the best meatballs he's had in a long time! My mom, Kaye, always had a special secret that made her meatballs the best: she'd simmer them in the pasta sauce for a while before serving, adding flavor both to the sauce and to the meatballs!


Kaye's Meatballs

Ingredients:

1 1b lean ground beef
1 small chopped onion (or about 1 tsp onion powder)
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 Tbs dried parsley
salt and pepper to taste

Procedure:

0. Preheat oven to 375F.

1. Mix all ingredients until homogeneous, but do not over-mix or compact the meat too much.

2. Shape into golf ball sized balls, being careful not to compact the meat, as this makes for very dense, less tasty meatballs.

3. Place the meatballs evenly on a slotted rack over a drip pan lined with aluminum foil. This allows for the fat (gag), to drip through.

4. Bake at 375F for about 20 minutes, or until the meatballs are brown and sizzling.

5. Serve immediately by simmering for about 10 minutes in pasta sauce, or freeze for later use.


No comments:

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs