Sunday, August 23, 2009

Chickpea and Lentil Soup


Ok, so I'm posting this a little prematurely. I haven't actually had an entire bowl of this soup yet--but I have had a little taste. And it. tastes. good. I made the soup for a Middle Eastern-themed dinner I made for a yoga group I attend. There will be soup, pitas and homemade hummus, and a special surprise for dessert!

This is a pretty hearty soup, and I think it would be delicious all year round!


Not exactly sure where I found this recipe, but kudos to the chef!


Chickpea and Lentil Soup

Serves 6-8

Ingredients:

2 Tbs Olive or vegetable oil
1/2 onion (I used red), diced
2-3 carrots, cut into thin rounds
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced

1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp turmeric

1 cup lentils, rinsed and picked over for stones
4 cups vegetable stock (or 4 cups water and vegetable bullion cubes)
1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed

2 tomatoes, diced (or 1 can diced tomatoes with juice)
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1 cup fresh parsley, chopped

Procedure:

1. Saute onion, carrot and celery in olive oil over medium heat for about 15 minutes. Add the garlic and spices and saute for about 5 more minutes. (Careful, don't inhale the pepper!)

2. Add the vegetable stock and the lentils, and bring the soup to a boil.

3. Add the chickpeas and reduce the heat to low. Simmer, covered, for about 1 hour, or until the lentils are fork tender.

4. Add the diced tomatoes and tomato paste and stir thoroughly.

5. Stir in the parsley, and serve with a parsley garnish.


No comments:

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs