Sunday, October 25, 2009

Apple Brown Betty


This recipe could also be called "Butter Cobbler", given the incredible amount of delicious, fatty butter in it. I snagged this recipe from the Pioneer Woman. She's a hoot, and I totally recommend reading her blog if you haven't. I appreciate her self-deprecating humor, which is also tends to be my sense of humor.


I have to say that I didn't really change a thing (except for the addition of my second love, Sweet Treat), but I'm going to post the full recipe anyway to keep myself busy.


This dessert is the perfect way to usher in fall, and uses only staple ingredients, making it the perfect "throw-together" dessert!


Apple Brown Betty

Serves 4-6

Ingredients:

3 Granny Smith apples
5-7 Slices of wheat bread
3/4 cup salted butter
1 and 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
3 Tbs water
Sweet Treat (if you have it)

Procedure:

1. Preheat the oven to 375F

2. Peel and thinly slice the apples, and cut the wheat bread into bite sized cubes.

3. Grease a pie plate with butter, then begin to make layers of the ingredients. PW used thirds as a rule of thumb (i.e. add 1/3 of the bread, apples and brown sugar, and repeat twice more). Be sure to end with breadcrumbs (though Lord knows I didn't, and it didn't really make a difference).

4. Sprinkle the water and a bit of brown sugar (or Sweet Treat!!) on the top. Cover with foil and pop into the oven for about 35-45 minutes. Remove the foil and allow to brown the top for a few more minutes.

Serve with vanilla ice-cream for an extra special dessert!

No comments:

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs