Thursday, June 11, 2009

Spicy Tacos


Man, these were some spicy tacos. Ordinarily, they would not have been so spicy. It just so happens that my rookie note-taking ability made me capitalize the "T" in tsp of chili powder, leading me to think it was a tablespoon instead of a teaspoon.


We were sweating.


Profusely. But boy, was it delicious. I recommend using 2 teaspoons of chili powder instead of 2 Tablespoons. Also, you may want to use 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper instead of 1 tablespoon. I'm writing the recipe below as I should have done it, not how I did it. If you like spice, and are adventurous, go for it: use 2 Tbs chili powder and 1 Tbs cayenne pepper, but have some water nearby :).

Spicy Tacos

Serves 4-6

Ingredients:

Taco seasoning mix:
2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp paprika

(mix spices thoroughly before adding to ground beef)

1lb lean ground beef
1/3 cup hot water
4-6 flour tortillas, warmed
1 diced roma tomato
4 leaves of lettuce, shredded
1/4 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, colby-jack, monterey jack, whatever you like)

Procedure:

1. Brown the ground beef in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Drain, and return to skillet.

2. Add the spices and water to the ground beef in the skillet. Cook over medium heat until the meat has absorbed the flavors, and the sauce has thickened. Remove the pan from the heat.

3. Build the tacos in whatever way you enjoy the most! I like to add the meat first, then the other toppings, not really in any particular order. Be creative!

This is a picture of a taco that was made a while ago...I guess I was too hungry whenever I made these tacos to take a picture of the final product!

No comments:

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs