Monday, February 16, 2009

The "I Love Tony" Meal: Part One



Appetizers are not really a common occurrence in our house. Normally, we fix dinner, we eat and then we're done.

A few weeks ago, Tony and I ate dinner out at an Italian (Tony's pronunciation: eye-talyun...:)...) restaurant, and we were starving. The cheapest appetizer available was their signature bruschetta, so naturally, that's what we ordered. I had never had bruschetta before that I could remember, probably because I've only started liking tomatoes within the last year or two. The bread was chewy yet crisp, the cheese melty and delicious, and the fresh tomatoes and basil were juicy and fragrant--I could have eaten the whole thing as a meal!

I decided to attempt to recreate this bruschetta for my Valentine's Day/birthday dinner for Tony. I have to say that the recipe I made up on the fly turned out surprisingly well! I hope y'all have time to give it a try--the cutting up of the tomatoes takes the most time, everything else is a snap.

Bruschetta

Ingredients:

4 slices of fresh French bread (about 1/2" thick)
1 roma tomato, diced
1 clove garlic
2 Tbs butter, melted
A few sprigs of fresh basil, chiffoned
1/3 cup shredded mozzarella


Procedure:

1. Preheat the oven to 450F and move the rack to the top (broiling position). I lined the pan I was using with foil and then lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Place the sliced bread on the pan.
2. Mince the garlic and mix it in to the melted butter. Brush the garlic butter mixture onto the slices of bread.

3. Place a thin layer of shredded cheese on the bread. Top with the diced tomatoes.

4. Add another layer of cheese, and finish the mini-mountain you've certainly created with the fresh basil. Dry basil works in a pinch, but definitely doesn't deliver the same flavor.

5. Place on the top rack for about 3-5 minutes until the cheese has melted and the edges of the French bread have become toasty.



Enjoy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs