Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Lisa's Single Serve Pesto




So, let me be the first to tell you I don't know much about pesto, other than what my college cafeteria immersed their pasta in periodically. My basil has been growing, and I've been more than eager to use some of the fresh plant in my cooking. 



Perhaps I've been too eager. I was only able to carefully cut about 1/2 cup of fresh leaves, definitely not enough for a full recipe of pesto. I've searched around online, and my tried and true go-to for home-style recipes has been www.simplyrecipes.com. Elise has an excellent fresh basil recipe that I would like to try in those proportions one day.


For today, you get my single serve, questionable amounts rendition of fresh pesto sauce. 

I have to say...it was mighty tasty. The fresh garlic and basil gave the sauce a slight spicy kick that I really enjoyed!


Lisa's Single Serve Pesto

Ingredients:

1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, rinsed and blotted dry
1 palm full of pine nuts (I think about 1/6 cup)
1 clove fresh garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil (or however much you want to get your personally desired consistency)
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Procedure:

1. Pulse the basil and pine nuts in a food processor or blender until combined.

2. Add the minced garlic, and pulse a few more times.

3. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while the food processor or blender is running.

4. Finally, add in the grated Parmesan cheese, and blend until the consistency you desire is reached.



Enjoy! It's as simple as that! I topped my tortellini with the pesto and then a bit more Parmesan cheese--you can't go wrong with more cheese, people!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you please provide some nutritional information?

Anonymous said...

How much does this make?

Betty Weiss said...

It made about 1/3 cup, which was enough to sauce 1/4 lb. pasta. i am eating it right now!

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs