Friday, January 16, 2009

Corn and Black Bean Salad



This recipe is an original. There are, apparently, many corn and black bean salad recipes out there, but when I was making this...I didn't check to reference even one of them.

I think becoming comfortable in cooking is marked by various steps, such as not giving a hoot about measuring cups (unless your baking of course, then the rules should be followed rather strictly) and not having a panic attack when you've added a little too much of something. Another step in being comfortable in the kitchen is being comfortable with spices, and combinations of flavors. I'm definitely not there yet, but this recipe does mark a change in my confidence in the kitchen.

Thursday night I made beef enchiladas, which were a big hit with Tony. I won't bother posting the recipe, because I made it from the Old El Paso can (can I get a "woo hoo" for eating something that had 3x the amount of salt a moose should intake?). Anyway, the salad I made on the side, which, humorously, Tony interpreted as salsa, not salad, was a little bit more healthy.

All in all, I would say it's a tasty, quick dish that would probably impress people, even though it literally takes about 2 minutes flat to prepare. On a side note, 1 minute of the two minutes was used to get the dang can opener to work. This actually could be used as a salsa, or a garnish (kind of like pico de gallo), I just wouldn't have really thought of it had I not seen Tony dive in with a chip :).

Corn and Black Bean Salad


Ingredients:

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed thoroughly
1 can of niblet corn, drained and rinsed thoroughly
2 roma tomatoes, diced
1/2 tsp onion powder (or use 1 small, chopped onion)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 TBS Chili powder*
1 TBS Tabasco Chipolte Sauce*
1/2 tsp dried cilantro (or probably 1TBS fresh cilantro)
1/2 TBS concentrated lime juice (or juice from 1 lime)
ground black peper
salt

*We like our food SPICY! Add a little bit at a time and taste to get the appropriate amount of heat that you enjoy.*

Procedure:

1. Toss everything into a medium size bowl, and gently combine all ingredients.

2. Revel in the simplicity. Watch some TV and wait for dinner to finish baking.

3. Enjoy!

Happy Friday!

No comments:

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs