Saturday, January 3, 2009

Lemon Blackberry Cake

Lemon Blackberry Cake



I love the toaster oven that my husband bought for me as a Christmas present. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of it already, primarily because the things I normally bake are just for the two of us, and really don't require the entire oven. It's an excellent size for us, and it heats up SO quickly! I love it. The best part about the little oven is that it bakes exactly like a large oven, and it also has a "convection oven" feature that circulates the air and apparently cooks things much faster.

Anyway, here's my first baked item (aside from break and bake cookies) that I made in the toaster oven. Everything is done the same as if it were being cooked in a regular oven!

Ingredients:

2 c flour
3/4 c sugar
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2.5 tsp grated lemon zest (about one medium sized lemon)
2 eggs (beaten)
1/2 c melted butter
1/2 c milk
1 c frozen blackberries (or any other fresh or frozen berry of your choice)
1/2 c chopped walnuts

Procedure:



0. Preheat oven to 350F

1. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and zest in a mixing bowl, and set aside.

2. Combine melted butter, eggs and milk and stir to combine.

3. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined (don't overmix), the batter should not be smooth.

4. Add the berries and walnuts, mix until just blended.



5. Pour prepared batter into a 8.5"x4.5" loaf pan lightly coated with cooking spray.

6. Bake at 350F for about an hour and 15 minutes. Check the cake at an hour by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. It should look light-brown on the top as well.



Confession 1: I burnt mine a little bit. I was using the "convection oven" option on my toaster oven, and it cooks things much faster than the regular oven function.

Confession 2: I still ate it.

Enjoy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs