Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Breakfast for Dinner?? Let's Have Omelets!



I don't really remember having breakfast for dinner as a kid very much. My grandma cooked a lot when I was really little, and I'm pretty sure we were more likely to have fried Spam (yes, I ate that), or turnip greens and pork chops than bacon and eggs. This all changed once I married Tony--he introduced me to breakfast for dinner!



We decided to make omelets and sausage for dinner one night this week. Tony is the master of cooking omelets to perfection. I, however, am a bit eager and have a tendency to try to fold them over before they are ready. This usually means I make scrambled eggs whenever I'm trying to make an omelet. Ugh.



We have different taste in food, so omelets are fun because we can customize our dinner.


My omelet had asparagus (yes, and it was GOOOD), tomatoes, basil, crushed red pepper and colby-jack cheese.



Tony's had sausage, tomatoes, basil, crushed red pepper, chipotle tabasco sauce, and colby-jack cheese.


We both really enjoyed our respective omelets--give it a try with your own favorite toppings! The recipe below details the omelet I made for myself, but you should tweak the recipe to your taste!

Easy Omelets

(serves 1)


Ingredients:

3 eggs
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup roma tomato, diced
3 asparagus stalks, steamed and cut into bite sized pieces
6-7 fresh basil leaves, chiffoned (or a shake of dried basil per omelet)
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/8-1/4 cup shredded cheese

Procedure:

1. Salt and pepper the eggs, and lightly beat them to break the yolks with a fork

2. Heat greased, medium sized skillet on medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot, pour the eggs in carefully. Don't stir!

3. Add all of the toppings while the eggs are beginning to cook onto one half of the eggs.

4. The omelet is ready to be folded over when the eggs have pulled away a bit from the side of the pan. Carefully take a thin, rubber spatula and work it around the half of the pan without any toppings, loosening the egg from the pan. Then, gently fold over onto the half with toppings.

5. Let this sit over medium heat for a minute or so, then flip over the omelet and cook the other side for a minute or so.

6. Serve with sour cream, salsa, or whatever else tickles your fancy!



3 comments:

Leslie said...

I love asparagus, pack in some with some goat cheese and you'll have one of the best omlets I've ever had - at a french restraunt at that!

Holly @ Domestic Dork said...

I looooove having breakfast foods for dinner!

Meredith said...

"I, however, am a bit eager and have a tendency to try to fold them over before they are ready. This usually means I make scrambled eggs whenever I'm trying to make an omelet. Ugh."

That sounds just like me! I'll have to try this for my breakfast for dinner routine sometime soon.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs