Saturday, May 23, 2009

Chicken and Broccoli Stuffing Skillet



Let me preface this recipe by saying that it's not totally made from scratch. In fact, you may be able to find this recipe on the back of a Stove Top Whole Wheat Stuffing box, because that's where I found it!



We have been trying to eat healthier, though it is hard for me to make EVERYTHING from scratch all the time. I work a LOT. So, most of the time I try to always have a fresh, normally steamed, vegetable as a side, and use a semi-prepared meal (stuff like stove top, shake-n-bake, or taco mix/chili mix packets) so I don't have to spend 3 of my 4 hours of free time cooking and cleaning up. It's worked out pretty well so far. I still like cooking more challenging dishes on the weekend, when I have the time, but during the week, I'm just trying to survive.



Anyway, this is a one-dish, skillet meal and it's perfect for a quick dinner!



Chicken and Broccoli Stuffing Skillet
(adapted from Kraft Stove Top Stuffing recipe)

Ingredients:

1 Tbs canola oil
1 lb chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
4 cups broccoli florets (or about 2 heads)
1 box stuffing mix (or 6 ounces)
2.5 cups water
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)

Procedure:

1. Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook until brown on both sides, or the internal temperature is around 170F. 

2. Remove chicken, blot off excess oil and keep warm. Add the broccoli and water to the skillet and bring to a boil. 

3. Stir in the stuffing mix and stir until moistened.

4. Add the chicken back to the skillet, sprinkle with cheese, reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 5 minutes, until the cheese has melted.


No comments:

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs