Sunday, March 15, 2009

Aunt Norma's Sizzle Snacks



My Aunt Norma sent me this recipe a few months ago, and it looked like the perfect party treat! I noticed one week that almonds were on sale in bulk at our neighborhood health food store, so I bought a pound or so and made this recipe. I didn't have a party to share them at (sigh), but I did send them off in a package to family! I enjoyed them, and that's about the only barometer I have to gauge this recipe on--Tony doesn't eat almonds "plain" like this, only when they're incorporated in other foods.

At any rate, this is a neat recipe, and if you enjoy almonds you should definitely give it a try, tweaking it to your taste and spicy tolerance.

Almond Sizzle Snacks

Ingredients:

4 cups almonds (I actually used about 2.75, but kept the other ingredients the same. I'm sure either amount works fine. This only changes the thickness of the spice coating on the almonds)
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 garlic powder



P.s. These are my favorite bowls--they're so pretty!
Procedure:

1. Preheat the oven to 325F.

2. Mix the sugar, cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt (or salt-substitute if you are sensitive), and garlic powder in a separate bowl.

3. In a separate bowl, coat the almonds with the olive oil. Then, coat the almonds with the spices, making sure all of the almonds are covered.



4. Spread out the coated almonds on a baking sheet that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray.

5. Bake for 20 minutes (I used the middle rack of my oven), stirring every 5 minutes.

6. Allow the almonds to cool thoroughly and enjoy your delicious and easy snack!

No comments:

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs