Sunday, March 1, 2009

Spaghetti with Pine Nuts and Brussels Sprouts

Okay, I'm going to have to ask you to hear me out on this one. I know that the title doesn't sound all that appealing, but trust me---this recipe is really tasty!

Earlier in February Tony and I received a package from Tony's parents, which was full of all kinds of new items for me to try and cook with. One of the items in the box was a bag of pine nuts. Truthfully, I don't know much about pine nuts and how they are commonly used in cooking. One of the top hits I found during a http://tastespotting.com search was pesto, which I will eventually make when I can remember to buy some fresh basil at the grocery store. I'm slightly resistant to buying fresh herbs, because for the most part they end up spoiling before I can use them up.



At any rate, I stumbled across this recipe on a blog, which was originally published in Gourmet magazine as "Fettuccine with Brussels Sprouts and Pine Nuts." Although I'm sure fettuccine is a commonly sold pasta at the grocery store (duh), I definitely didn't have any on hand. I did substitute one pasta for another, and swapped in spaghetti instead. I think it made the recipe a little less fancy, but I'm definitely not going for a "fancy" vibe around here.

This recipe is fast, fills you up, and gets your momma off of your back about eating your Brussels sprouts...

Spaghetti with Pine Nuts and Brussels Sprouts

Makes 2 servings

Ingredients:

1/2 lb Brussels sprouts, washed and trimmed
4 0z (or enough for about 2 servings) of whole wheat pasta (spaghetti or fettuccine are best)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs unsalted butter
3 Tbs pine nuts
seasoned pepper and salt to taste
1 tsp Italian herbs
grated parmesan cheese for serving

Procedure:

1. Cook pasta as directed until al dente, drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the liquid for later use.

2. While pasta is cooking quarter the Brussels sprouts, or slice them in a food processor if you're in a rush.

3. In a medium sized skillet, heat olive oil, butter and garlic over medium-high heat until the garlic is sizzling and fragrant.



4. Cook the pine nuts in the skillet, constantly stirring until they are golden (about 1-2 minutes). Add the Brussels sprouts, salt, seasoned pepper, and Italian herb blend and saute until the sprouts are a lightly browned, vibrant color, and are tender (about 4 minutes).

5. Add the 1/2 cup of reserved pasta liquid to the skillet to moisten. Spoon over the pasta on your serving dish, and grate or sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.



Be proud of yourself for eating your Brussels sprouts!

No comments:

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs