Friday, March 6, 2009

Homemade Jell-O



Jell-O (or more appropriately, the use of gelatin for eating gelled food) has been around for quite a while--about 150 years!

Whenever I think of Jell-O I normally think 1) being sick and staying home from school 2) the elderly and 3) 1950's housewives making aspic (yuuuck). I do enjoy Jell-O, though, even though it's made out of all kinds of nasty stuff (allegedly...I'm not going to look this up and ruin it for myself), and I would probably eat it on a regular basis if it were not for all of the sugar contained in most of the more delicious flavors.

In an effort to be health conscious and reduce my refined sugar intake, along with being budget friendly, I found a recipe for homemade sugar-free Jell-O. I am using this recipe exactly, and so far it's worked out great! I'll post it again here for good measure, but I definitely can't take the credit.

Ingredients:

1 packet Knox gelatin
1 packet (or 1.5 Tbs) No sugar added Kool-Aid (i.e. not pre-prepared)
2 cups water, divided
3/4 cup Splenda or 10 packets artificial sweetener (whatever is equal to 3/4 cup sugar)




Procedure:

1. Bring 1 cup water to a boil.

2. In the other cup of cold water, sprinkle in the gelatin and stir. Add the sugar and Kool-Aid and stir until dissolved.

3. Add the cold mixture to the boiling water, stirring for about 1 minute.

4. Transfer to a heat-safe dish and cool a bit on the counter, then transfer to the fridge to chill until set.

5. After cooled, served with whipped cream or just plain Jane :)


No comments:

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs