Saturday, August 16, 2008

Bean Greens

This is another very simple recipe for sauteed green beans. My mom makes the best sauteed green beans EVER, and I think she uses some rice wine vinegar (which I don't have). This is a modified, semi-fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants thing. It also could be voodoo.

***please try to disregard my water-spot laden pasta thinger***

Reagents:

green beans (I normally cook about 2 fist-fulls)
2 Tbs olive oil
ground black pepper
1-2 cloves garlic (depends if you are a garlic-lover or not)


Method:

1. Wash and prep the green beans. Cut off both ends of the beans and remove the string.
2. Pour olive oil into a skillet-wok-whatever and allow it to heat up on medium heat.
3. Once oil is hot, place quartered cloves of garlic (or, if you want no friends you can mince them) in skillet.
4. The garlic cloves will begin to sizzle, and that's your cue to add the green beans.
5. Saute the beans, adding pepper to taste, until they have wilted a bit, but are still crunchy.
6. Remove the garlic cloves, and add a pinch of salt to taste.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do use a "splash" of Rice Wine Vinegar on my Stir Fry Green Beans. Rice Wine Vinegar is very mild as vinegars go (my local grocer sells it in the Asian food aisle). Any mild vinegar would probably work (or you could try diluting some regular apple cider vinegar, but I've never tried it). As for quantity, that's hard to say, depending on the quantity being cooked. My Rice Wine Vinegar bottle has a shaker top on it, but I would guess probably 1/2 to 1 tsp. max when cooking for two -- just enough to steam the beans a bit and add a little kick to the flavor. Love you! Mom

Anonymous said...

this blog is awesome. keep up the good work. i miss you terribly but i might miss your cooking more...

...the granola is a great idea!!! i think you should sell them after cutting them into hearts.

OK-study time! :)

Peace

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs