Saturday, August 30, 2008

Portobello Wraps


What is it about portobello mushrooms? They're earthy, they're juicy and they are totally versatile. This recipe uses portobellos as the main component of a summertime wrap. I cannot, however, take all of the credit. I have adapted the recipe from a recipe called Portobello Wrap with White Bean-Chile Spread from this version of Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook that my grandmother-in-law (those don't actually exist...they are really just grammas :)...) gave me for Christmas (love Grandma Ryno!). I use my own hummus as the spread, and I make it less classy by simplifying some of the other ingredients (who needs to be classy when they're hungry, anyway??)

Reagents:

Portobello caps, gills removed
Italian Salad dressing, divided
Hummus
Fresh spinach
Shredded mixed cheese
Flour tortillas

*I know I didn't put any measurements. This is not hard, people. Just read the method, and breathe. Everything will be fine. Just pretend you're making tacos, and make as many as you need, ok? Gauge 1 portobello cap per person, and about a handful of greens. I normally can only eat one of these, because they are pretty filling, but some people (named Tony...) may eat more than 1.*

1. Preheat broiler. Brush both sides of the cleaned portobello with Italian dressing--make sure you've covered it up well enough for it to marinate for at least 15 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, drizzle the spinach with some more Italian dressing, and mix well

3. Place mushroom caps on an aluminum foil lined cookie sheet, and broil for 6-8 minutes, turning over at about 3-4 minutes.

4. Spread hummus (liberally, if you're like me) on flour tortillas. Add about 1/4 cup of the spinach with dressing, some cheese and slices of the portobello caps

5. Wrap up like a burrito and enjoy!

This is one of my "staple" recipes to use whenever I see that portobellos are on sale--it's so easy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs