Sunday, August 10, 2008

Homemade Pita Chips

Being a busy (and oh so poor) graduate student, I don't necessarily have time to use up all of the fresh items I buy at the store weekly. Namely, I can never finish an entire pack of pita bread before it expires. Now, my husband suggests that I just eat regular bread, the kind of stuff he eats. I have my limits, people. Yes, I am thrifty, but I have to enjoy lunch. It's my one break during work where I should be able to enter pita heaven...not processed wheat bread hell.

So, I use the slightly stale (neeeever moldy) pita bread to make pita chips to dip into my hummus. This is a painfully easy recipe, so I expect everyone to try it!

Homemade Pita Chips

Reagents:


Pita bread pockets
Olive oil
Italian seasoning spices (parsley, oregano, thyme...whatever)
Garlic powder, or 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
Chili powder (if you want a kick)
Ground pepper
Sea Salt

***Notice there are no measurement values listed. I never really know how many pitas I will have left over at the end of the week, so I normally play it by ear. If you would like a definitive amount, I would suggest for 6 pita pockets about 1/4-1/3 cup olive oil, and about 1/2 tsp. for all of the spices.

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 400.

2. Stir the spices (except for the sea salt) into the olive oil and let them mellow for a few minutes.
3. Cut pita bread into 8 triangles, and place onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.

4. Brush each triangle with oil and spices with a pastry brush.
5. Sprinkle sea salt on top, and bake for about 7 minutes. Pay attention! Ovens vary, so be sure to keep an eye on them so they do not burn.

Enjoy with hummus, with any other favorite dip, or just plain!

No comments:

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs